How To Write a Compelling About Me Page for Your Blog
My dear friends, I’ve got something really important to share today: The “About Me” page on your blog. Your “About Me” page is where ~90% of your readers visit when they first stumble on your site. Say what?! It’s where new visitors learn more about you and decide if they want to stick around. Many bloggers neglect this page, but let me tell you – it’s the single most important page on your blog! So, that’s why today we are going to cover exactly how to write a compelling About Me page for your blog.
Writing a compelling About Me page for your blog takes more than throwing up a bio about yourself and adding an iPhone photo of your face.
There are things you must include in order to effectively and instantly turn cold strangers into raving fans. So, I would say this page deserves some tender loving care. With me? Great.
Thus, below, I’m gonna share with you all the secrets on how to write a compelling About Me page for your blog. Ready? Let’s go.
You May Also Like
- 21 Simple Ways To Generate Blog Post Ideas
- 7 Simple SEO Tips for Bloggers
- How To Find Your Perfect Blog Niche: Step-By-Step Guide for Purpose-Driven Bloggers
WHAT YOUR ABOUT ME PAGE MUST DO
Like I said earlier, your About Page is likely one of your most visited page on your blog. Below are a few important things a compelling About Me page must do. It must:
- Grab your readers’ attention
- Immediately convey the value you provide and what you do for your target audience
- Help you connect with your target audience
- Make you credible
- Share what you and your brand stands for
- Make you relatable, likeable and memorable
- Ask your readers to take the next step with you
If you’re feeling overwhelmed, don’t worry. At the end of this blog post you’ll know exactly how to achieve each of the above and how you can write a compelling About Me page for your blog too.
5 Steps in Writing A Compelling About Me Page For Your Blog
There are 5 important steps in writing a compelling About Me page for your blog. I’m going to walk you through each of them, step-by-step, below.
STEP 1: AN ATTENTION-GRABBING HOOK
This is a big one in writing a compelling About Me page for your blog. You want to immediately grab your readers’ attention and get them to continue reading.
Think of it as a scenario where you’ve just met the man of your dreams.
If he has just 10 seconds with you before he is disappearing forever from your life, what’s one sentence you would say to make him stay?
Will it be, “Hi, my name is Millie”? It probably will not be, right?
Give the first sentence of your About Me page an attention-grabbing hook. Make your readers want to know more. Pique their curiosity.
3 WAYS TO CREATE AN ATTENTION-GRABBING HOOK
- Ask a Question. Ask a question (or questions) in which your target audience would intrinsically say YES. For example, “Are you somebody who wants to XXX?” or “Are you somebody who is feeling XXX?”
- Tell a Quick Story. May be you have a quick story you can tell that would connect with your audience immediately. You want to show your audience that you are just like them.
- Open Loop. People don’t like things unfinished. So open loop is a way to create curiosity and have your readers stick around. For example, you can say “Hey, I have discovered an amazing way to do XXX, but before I tell you more about that let me introduce myself.”
I have certainly applied one of the above techniques on my page.
On my About Page, I start with “Have you wondered if there is more to life?”?
Why? Because I want to grab the attention of those wanting more in their lives (more meaningful, more freedom, more abundance, more fulfilment, anyone?).
Pick one of the methods above to write an attention-grabbing hook for your About Me page.
STEP 2: THE TRANSFORMATION YOUR BLOG PROVIDES
I’ m gonna let you in on a BIG secret:
Your About Me page is not so much about you, but rather mainly about the people you are hoping to serve.
What?! Shocking, right?
Yes, your readers do want to get to know you (we’ll get into that too), but ONLY AFTER they feel that you can provide value to them and help them.
So, in this section, you want to clearly tell your readers what it is that makes your blog useful to them, what transformation (meaning, specific outcomes) you want to help your readers with, and who your blog is intended for.
Here are a few examples to spark your ideas.
- I teach you how to cook delicious, plant-based food without spending a fortune (Plant Based on a Budget)
- To provide men the tools to educate themselves and build a wardrobe that best complements their individual style (Real Men Real Style)
- Becoming Minimalist is designed to inspire others to pursue their greatest passions by owning fewer possessions (Becoming Minimalist)
FILTER OUT THOSE WHO ARE NOT THE RIGHT FIT
On my About Me Page, I say “You have a BIG heart and a special gift for this World. My mission is to help you build a passion-driven, impactful, and profitable business.”.
That, my friends, was intentional. Why? Because when the RIGHT people visit my page, I want them to KNOW it. I want them to immediately realize that this site was created for them.
Of course, some people will see this and may feel that this site is not for them. They may exit out and never come back. And guess what, that’s absolutely okay, my friends. Because we want to attract the RIGHT people, not just everyone.
In fact, the more clearly you can specify who your site is for the better, you want to immediately connect with the right people and start building a beautiful relationship with them.
Unsure about your niche? Check out my Perfect Niche Formula online course.
STEP 3: PROOFS TO SHOW YOUR CREDIBILITY
Next, let’s look at another step to write a compelling About Me page for your blog.
In this step, you want to provide some proofs to your readers on why you are credible to teach what you’re sharing on your blog.
In other words, this is where you get to shamelessly showoff your credibility and brag about yourself (ha!). Why? Because you will likely want to make money from your blog eventually (unless you are just blogging for fun). Providing credibility can show your readers why they can TRUST you for providing the solutions for them.
HOW TO ESTABLISH CREDIBILITY INSTANTLY
Credibility can be established in many different ways. Here are a few ideas. This list is not exhaustive, so feel free to get creative!
- Media coverage you/your blog has gotten (magazines, newspaper, TV, radio)
- Big-name sites your name has been mentioned or your content has been shared on
- Podcasts you have been a guest of
- Awards you/your blog has won
- Customers testimonials (text/video, include photos if you can)
- Success stories with your customers
- Relevant academic background/training you may have
- Relevant corporate background you may have
- Your own personal experiences on what you are sharing
- Social proof such as how big your community or social media following is
Chances are that you will have some of the above. However, if you are a beginner and don’t have much to show for yet, just let your readers know that you’re still learning, but would love to share things as you discover them.
If you have any blog post series or pillar posts that your audience should know about, be sure to include them here too. This will shine a spotlight on these posts and also lead your readers to engage more with your content.
STEP 4: Your Personal Story
Ok, friends, now you finally get to talk all about yourself.
In this section, you should mainly share about your personal story as it relates to your blog or your business. Share a personal story on how you got to this point in your blog, your business or your life. Why did you start it? When did your love for XXX begin?
You want to be genuine and vulnerable. Share your emotions. Share how you felt at the time. Make your story relatable to your readers.
Don’t forget to include a few photos of yourself. Your readers want to know they are connecting with a real person.
This is also a good place to include your values, your mission and/or your vision for your blog and your business. People want to be a part of something bigger than themselves, so you want to tell people what you stand for and how they can be part of it.
Also, it’s okay to include a few random info about yourself into this page — in fact, it’s encouraged! Adding things like the city you live in, what your hobbies are, what are some interesting things about you, and anything that is very “you” can be a fun way to connect with your audience. Have a few, but remember don’t overdo it.
You can check out my About Me page – you will see that I’ve included my personal story, a few photos, my values and also a few other fun facts about me.
STEP 5: A Call-To-Action
This is an important step in writing a compelling About Me page for your blog.
So they’ve read your About Me page up to this point. They believe your blog is worth reading and that you are someone who can help them solve their problems.
Now, you need to give them an avenue to come back again!
Which brings me to the final step on writing a compelling About Me page for your blog. And this is a hugely important step that many bloggers forget: Include a Call-To-Action.
A Call-To-Action (or CTA) is something that encourages your readers to… you guessed it, take action! This could be asking your readers to download an eBook or a checklist, or subscribe to your newsletter.
The reason why your CTA is SO important is because you want the person who is reading your About Page to stick around. You don’t want them to read your page, love it, exit and never come back again (*cry).
Thus, ask them to subscribe in some way so you can stay in touch and email other posts from your blog to entice them to come back in the future. People are busy and will need some prompting to return.
If you can, include your CTA in several places within your About Me page. Because as much as we’d love people to read through the whole page, often time they’ll skip around or skim your content. So include one CTA near the beginning (if you can) and definitely add one towards the bottom.
OK, to summarize – in order to write a compelling About Me page for your blog, you need to include 5 things:
- Start off with an attention-grabbing hook
- Make your value proposition and target audience extremely clear by stating the transformation your blog provides
- Instantly build trust and credibility by showing proofs
- Tell your personal story to connect with your readers. Include a few photos and also a few random fun facts about you too to make it more personal
- Inviting your readers to take the next step with you by adding a strong Call-To-Action
That’s all! The 5 steps to write a compelling About Me Page for your blog.
Along the way, you will likely edit your About Me page (I mean, I have only edited mine like a dozen times). And that’s totally fine. Just write the BEST version of your About Me page today and get it rolling!
PS – If you are really new to blogging and have yet to set up a blog, I sincerely invite you to check out my How To Start a Blog: A Step-by-Step Guide For Blogging with Purpose. It’s a comprehensive guide that takes you through step-by-step and get your blog setup in 20 minutes.
You May Also Like:
- How to Find Your Perfect Niche – Check out Perfect Niche Formula
- How To Make Money Blogging: Ultimate Beginner’s Guide
- 21 Simple Ways To Generate Blog Post Ideas